Saturday, November 6, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 6: Failed Fuel Bites = Experimental Gu?

I've got a 15K race early tomorrow morning, so I'm getting my drinks and fuel ready today. I've made my smoothie and was attempting to make my slightly modified version of Brendan Brazier's Direct Fuel Bites. His recipe goes like this:

5 dates
2 T coconut oil
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
Sea salt to taste

You combine these in a food processor and then cut them into little rectangles that you can eat before and during exercise.  The dates and coconut oil both provide quick energy.

In practice, I find that if I use those proportions of date to coconut oil, the coconut oil creates a kind of mayonnaisey texture.  I usually do six dates to 1 T coconut oil.  I also leave out the zest because I'm too lazy to deal with zest!

This time, working from memory, I goofed and did 2 T of coconut oil to 6 dates.  Once I realized this, I added another six dates.  But then I also accidentally did more lemon juice than I was supposed to--2 T.  And I kept blending, hoping to get the consistency I usually do--which is kind of like caramel.  This time, no matter how much I blended, I got something frothier.  The consistency kind of reminds me of Gu (which I had for the first time during my first marathon last month!).  So I'm going to try a little experiment.  I'll try using this mixture as Gu.  Instead of trying to cut this into squares, I'll make some little Gu flutes out of foil and see how that goes.  Here's what the mixture looks like:

No comments: