Friday, November 5, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 5: Food Ruts vs. Habits

Do you find that most of the time you're happy eating pretty much the same things every day?  For longer than I can remember, my routine breakfast has been a bowl of oatmeal (1 cup, cooked), with 1 T ground flaxseed and .5 T nutritional yeast cooked into it and with cinnamon and applesauce added for flavor.  I'm perfectly happy eating this breakfast every day and feel no desire to switch up to something else.  (One exception is that if I have a race or long run early in the morning, I skip my oatmeal and go right to my smoothie [see yesterday's entry]).

I also fall into patterns for my lunch and snacks. I bring fruit and almonds to work with me to have as snacks and most days I've been having lentil soup for lunch.  But a few nights ago, when it was time to pack my lunch for the next day, I found myself staring into the fridge and thinking I was tired of the lentil soup.  Lucky for me, my husband had made chili, so I've been having that for lunch for the past couple of days.  At the same time, I felt like skipping my almonds and brought in a small baked potato instead.  Ooh, so much change!  How can I stand it?  ;)

So I don't know why I was feeling in a food rut for lunch when I've been having the same breakfast every day for longer than I was having lentil soup for lunch--but I suppose this isn't one of those logical things.  Anyone else gone through the same thing recently, with a food rut?

2 comments:

Candy Beans said...

Yes! I'm the worst for this. My breakfasts will be the same for months on end. I've done: green smoothies, overnight oats, chia pudding, English muffins with peanutbutter and pumpkin seeds. Who knows what will come next. I mixed it up with some left over biscuits and gravy today though.

I keep thinking that one weekend, I'll make a bunch of tofu scramble breakfasts or pancakes and freeze them for work day breakfasts, but I never do.

Mirkat said...

I keep thinking that one weekend, I'll make a bunch of tofu scramble breakfasts or pancakes and freeze them for work day breakfasts, but I never do.

Oh, this is me, exactly. Especially since I'm always tagging recipes, as mentioned here. But then I just fall back on my usual. ;)