Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 2

I didn't mean to end my first "mofo" entry so abruptly.  Here I'll pick up where I left off....

When we got home from trick-or-treating, my husband weighed our little guy's "take" and then allowed him to replace it with an equal amount of parentally vetted, vegan candy.  Kiddo had one pound, nine ounces of trick-or-treat loot.  Well, minus the bag of potato chips he grabbed out of his bag right away.

On a related note, I received an e-mail message from his teacher last week, letting me know that two separate classmates were coming in with "birthday" treats that week, so that I'd have the chance to send in alternate treats for my son.  I asked him what he wanted, and he opted for the very delicious pumpkin oatmeal cookies from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan With a Vengeance. He was even able to contribute to the process, as his class had visited a farm as part of a field trip earlier in the month, and everyone came home with a pumpkin.  The little pumpkin yielded 1.5 c puree, so I did the entire recipe x 1.5.  A couple of other modifications were:  I used applesauce instead of canola oil* and used some agave instead of the molasses, which I did not have.  I didn't sub for the whole amount, since agave is sweeter than molasses and I just wanted to account for some of the texture.  (I used 1.5 T instead of what would have been 3T for my 1.5x conversion.)  I also left out the nuts and raisins completely.  Although my son would possibly enjoy the nuts and raisins independently, he would definitely have picked them out of the cookie--I guess he doesn't like his cookies to have "things" in them ("things" one can pick out).

Anyway, the cookies came out delicious and made a ton.  I froze about 2/3 of them, and my little guy had one this morning. :)

*Page 222 of VwaV advises that 1/3 c of applesauce can sub for 1/2 c of oil.

Edit:  And here is the glorious Vegan MoFo blogroll.

No comments: